Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Book Review: The No-Cry Discipline Solution

Through several blogs I read frequently, I’d learned about a new book by parenting author Elizabeth Pantley. I’d heard of Pantley from other parents when Lauren was having sleep issues, but had never gotten around to reading any of her previous books such as The No-Cry Sleep Solution. After reading her new book, The No-Cry Discipline Solution, and since we are still having sleep issues around here, I think (no, I know) that’s what I’ll be reading next.

Lauren, at 17 months, is just getting to the age where we really need to start worrying about discipline. I knew that I wanted to stay away from the yelling, begging, and definitely spanking, but you know – this parenting stuff is hard work! Thankfully, Pantley offers plenty of suggestions that respect both the parent and the child while also getting to the heart of what discipline is all about – teaching a lesson.

One of the biggest challenges parents face with toddlers is getting them to cooperate. We had be been going crazy here getting Lauren to cooperate while we brushed her teeth. Donald would literally have to hold her head so I could cram her little toothbrush in there for a few seconds at least. Of course, this only led to more tears and more fighting from her. I felt awful about doing this, but reasoned that it had to be done – she had to have her teeth brushed after all! When I came across the section in the book describing one way to get your toddler to cooperate by singing a song, I had to try it out during our next tooth brushing session. It worked like a charm! I just sang, “This is the way we brush our teeth, brush our teeth, brush our teeth. This is the way we brush our teeth so we keep them clean,” over and over and over. Lauren was so captivated by the song, I think she almost forgot we were brushing her teeth! We’ve used this technique every night for the past five nights with brilliant success.

The thing that I like best about this book is that the advice is easy to use and practical. Really, everything in the book is stuff that you probably already know you should do, but forget to do when you are so aggravated by your child’s behavior. Pantley also acknowledges that sometimes parents do get angry, and that it is OK. In fact, there’s a whole section on anger and how to deal with it (very helpful for Donald, in our case). It really feels as though Pantley is a good friend, helping parents to get through the dark moments.

There is so much more that this book offers. I’d highly recommend it to anyone with a toddler or preschooler who doesn’t always behave (and if you can find one that does always behave, send him this way!). As for me, I’m heading to Barnes and Noble to find her other book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddler and Preschoolers. Maybe I can get this kid to sleep, after all!!

3 comments:

Isla said...

I will have to read it. We sing that song with Jake. I also let him brush my teeth (with my toothbrush not his) and he gets a big kick out of it. Of course I always brush them before hand because he doesn't do the best job, but he gets excited about brushing teeth now so I am happy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
Thank you for your great feedback on my new book! How fun to hear that the singing toothbrush routine has been so helpful! And best of luck in finding sweet dreams with your little one :o)
Hugs,
Elizabeth ~^*

Kelly said...

I'm going to try to order that book! I looked at Books a Million and it was almost $20...so I found it on Amazon.com for $10. Thanks for telling me about it!