Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Tonight was my last session for Kaplan teacher training. I guess they like me because they've given me two classes already. The first one is for the ACT and starts this Saturday! The second is for the SAT (which I've never taken) and starts next Sunday.

I'm VERY nervous about the SAT class. First, I don't know jack about the SAT. I have a test that I have to do and score at least in the 90th percentile on to be able to teach it, but my trainer seems to think that won't be a problem. Hah! Second, I'm starting half-way through a class. The guy who is teaching it right now is an awesome teacher, so I'll have big shoes to fill. Third, the guy who's teaching the class right now told me that there's a kid in it that is a mighty big pain in the rump. Terrific. I'm going to go in on Sunday and observe the class, so hopefully I won't find out that I've bitten off more than I can chew.

I'll also have two students that I'll tutoring privately once a week each for the SAT. This again makes me nervous. These kids (well, their parents) pay big bucks for private tutoring, and I kind of feel like a sham, since I really know nothing about the SAT. I guess I have a lot to learn in the next few weeks!

The good news is that I will be done with both classes by the beginning of December and I may or may not take any thing else after that, depending on what happens with student teaching. I'm happy to be making some extra money for the savings account, though! Every penny of what I make from all my little side ventures is being saved for the move, so I'm happy to contribute more!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm sure you'll do great. That would be hard to teach a class for something without taking it! :) But I'm sure you'll figure it out...you were always good like that! Good luck!