Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sometimes kids just make you swear. Or at least they do me.

Case in point - Thursday I had a bunch of errands to run with Lauren. First we stopped at CVS, then ran to Target. On the way home we had to stop at Kinko's to FedEx a box to my dad. In Kinko's there's a card rack, and of course there's a card with a dog on it. Lauren loves dogs. The entire time I'm trying to get the form filled out, Lauren is practically screaming, "Woof! Woof!".

"Yes, baby, that's a dog,".

"Woof! Woof! Woof freakin' woof!"

After I finish getting the box shipped, I take her over the card rack to look more closely at the dog. Big mistake. Huge. As we start to leave, the tantrum starts.

"Wooooooofffff! Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! Wooooooooooooooffffff, MAMAMMAMAMAMA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!"

So I put her in the car, trying to nicely explain to an irrational toddler that the doggy lives in Kinkos and can't come home with us. Yeah, that didn't go so well. Of course, by now it's POURING outside, and I'm trying to drive home without killing us both.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! MAMAMA I FREAKING HATE YOU!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFF!!!!"

This continues for ten minutes. Of course we hit every red light between Kinkos and our house. I've finally had it, and yell - "Peeler! The doggy is DEAD! Now shut your hole!".

Yeah, not my best parenting moment.

It finally dawned on me that I do have a radio in my car and I turn it up as loud as I can without feeling too guilty that I'm damaging my kid's hearing. Her woooooofing eventually faded into a whimper and we got home in one piece.

The rest of the afternoon continued on in the same fashion, until I couldn't take it any longer. I locked us both in the bedroom, laid on the bed, and pretended I was asleep until she finally crawled up next to me and passed out.

An hour later, she woke up and was the sweetest thing ever. Go figure.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

AH, I know what you mean! Except I've had 2 like that all day. They have been about to drive me crazy. It's funny some of the things you'll do to get some peace. Then feel guilty about it later. Oh well...as long as they survive...LOL

Isla said...

The terrible twos are starting early for you as well. Today is one of those days at our house. Jake does not want to eat any food that is not a fish (baked cheese cracker variety). Everytime I give him something to eat he throws it and screams "fish fish." He has been doing this for several days. I have had to bribe him to get him to eat anything else! I never thought I would resort to bribing a 19 month old to do anything. He has already outsmarted most of my parenting techniques so the next 17 or so years should be really interesting!
Good Luck!
Isla