Friday, January 05, 2007

To wean....or not

Lauren is a boobie-baby. When I started breastfeeding, my goal was to make it a year. Hooray! Almost there. I decided that after a year, we'd play it by ear, and wean when when we were both ready. Lauren is no where near ready. I, on the other hand, could be ready to at least wean from daytime nursing.

The kid loves her num-nums. She nurses now probably as much as she did when she was a newborn - at least 7-8 times a day. A few of those times are only for a minute or two, probably just for security reasons. She's not really into solids too much. I don't know if this is because she's nursing so much that she's not hungry, or if the opposite is true. Mabye she doesn't like solids, so she's nursing more. Either way, we offer solids at least four times a day, and most of the time everything ends up on the floor (she does this weird flicking thing with her food - flick! on the floor). She does eat a good dinner with us at night, but then she usually wants to nurse right away afterward, too.

Breastfeeding has been wonderful for us, but at this point it is getting a bit limiting. I need to work in the evenings, and I would love to go into the spare room, lock the door and stay in there for a few hours without being interrupted. Hell, even wearing a shirt during the day wouldn't be so bad (*knock knock* Crap someone's at the door, where's my shirt? I swear one of these days I'm going to answer the door without one on).

I'm not adverse to extended breastfeeding, and wouldn't mind continuing with the morning/night nursing sessions. I don't know. I know that nursing can be a great benefit during the toddler years, so part of me just wants to keep on keeping on. And then there's the whole sleep issue. How, exactly, do you get a kid to go to sleep without nursing them?

I guess at this point we're going to keep going, at least until Lauren starts to let up on the num-nums a little. At the same time, I'm going to try to start giving her milk in a cup during the day, and hope that helps lessen the frequency. We'll see!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hmm, sorry. I don't know too much about breast feeding. I wanted to breastfeed so bad with both my girls, but I barely made any milk. I'd pump for 30 minutes and get not even an ounce. After about 2-3 weeks of that I finally accepted that I couldn't. But I'm glad you can. Sorry I have no advice for you!